The authorities believe this to be a random act of violence because the stabber did not take anything and appeared to have no other motive for the break-in. This is thought to be a gang initiation-type crime.
As a result of this tragic event, our Mission Year friends have been pulled out of the apartment and placed elsewhere in Atlanta. Stephanie has returned home to be with her family.
Amidst the pain this group of students is experiencing, God has still used this time to bring a message of hope and peace.
Though they have been pulled from their home in Clarkston, the Mission Year group has placed a sign below one of the windows saying: "To whoever hurt us, we forgive you." What a testimony to the power of God. Inspite of the devil's attempt to destroy the work of this group, they prove that God is so much greater than the troubles of this world. I apologize for this sad story, but I share it for 2 reasons:
- The Mission Year group still needs so much prayer. Two of the girls were upstairs in the apartment when this took place, and I'm sure they are going through a lot. It is so hard to see such dear friends experience such pain and trauma. I know God has used them tremendously in Clarkston, and I do not want to see the devil win this in any way by discouraging any of them.
- Though it's sad to hear, the story of their forgiveness is so inspiring. It is already making waves in the community as the neighboring refugees read the sign and ask their friends, "what does this mean - forgiveness?" I hope this inspires you to show kindness even to those who have hurt you.

Stellar stuff Brittany. Are these Mission Year students with Tony Campolo and Shane Claibornes group? Keep up the good work down there in ATL.
ReplyDeleteActually, the Mission Year organization is a nation-wide program that allows students from different schools & denominations to take a year, live in a community, and love and serve others. You can read more about it at www.missionyear.org
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing this Brittany. That is a beautiful story of forgiveness. Reminds me of Jesus on Calvary. I will pray for them all.
ReplyDelete