I spent 3 hours in a doctor's office waiting room this afternoon. And it wasn't the first time. Since I started working with World Relief, I've been running a lot of time-consuming errands every Thursday. It's not quite what I was expecting when I signed up for this internship. I figured I would be busy running around doing odd jobs, but quick ones that kept me on my toes and gave me a good amount of knowledge about refugee resettlement. I didn't plan on driving 20 minutes to a doctor's office with a woman who doesn't speak any English so that I could wait for 3 hours before they call her in to get a shot that takes 5 minutes and then drive her home.Now, before you think this is me complaining, let me stop here. I have lived a life that has almost always taught me that my expectations are no good. And this year has taught me that over and over. And today was not exception. Because who can say that they get to just sit for 3 hours of their day and make a little boy laugh? I may not have been filling out important paperwork, or making important calls, or discussing important issues, but if I didn't take the time, then who would have taken a Somali refugee and her son to the doctor for immunization shots? It's not ground-breaking, but it's also not high-stress. And I got such enjoyment from listening to little Walad (not his real name) giggle every time I tickled under his arm and watching him find such joy in taking pictures of strangers with my camera phone. No, it's not what I expected, but it's less stressful, and it's what needs to be done. Someone's gotta do it!

No comments:
Post a Comment